View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Sep 2020 6:04

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 HKB 31./973 Evenestangen 

does anyone know for what are the mountings, or how the whole construction looked like.
perhaps someone has some historical photos.

25 Jan 2011 17:55

hein wrote:
does anyone know for what are the mountings, or how the whole construction looked like.
perhaps someone has some historical photos.
I think english is reserved for the international section of the forum, but anyway:

These positions were intended for the 21cm Mörser 18 gun. The remains are the "earth-anchors" that kept the gun in position - ie stopping it from moving backwards from the effect of the recoil.

The Mörser 18 has been subject for several discussins in the forum, including the purpose of the anchors: Try a search, and you'll find some photos (there are several photos on the internet as well).

25 Jan 2011 19:32

Here's the dedicated forum-thread for "Mörser 18":
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=632

...and here's the thread for the discussion of the "anchors":
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1724

25 Jan 2011 19:35

Natter wrote:
Here's the dedicated forum-thread for "Mörser 18":
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=632

...and here's the thread for the discussion of the "anchors":
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1724

thx for the info. (hopefully it´s ok to discuss some more in english)
I don´t really understand the function of the anchors. Looks like the anchors are hard attached to the ground and the moerser is attached in the middle. So normally the moerser could be rotated, but if you still need the anchors you can only fix the mörser in "quarter positions", like the anchors are installed.
So did I understand that right ?

thx

25 Jan 2011 20:00

hein wrote:
I don´t really understand the function of the anchors. Looks like the anchors are hard attached to the ground and the moerser is attached in the middle. So normally the moerser could be rotated, but if you still need the anchors you can only fix the mörser in "quarter positions", like the anchors are installed.
I'm far from an expert on guns or the Mörser 18 in particular, but as I see it (judging by the available photos), the anchors are attached by steelbars to the baseplate, on wich the gun rotates.
I reckon some of the present experts will correct me if I'm wrong... PDT_Armataz_01_18

25 Jan 2011 20:16

Natter wrote:
the anchors are attached by steelbars to the baseplate, on wich the gun rotates.
See for example this photo, where the steelbars from the anchors are clearly visible and connected to the baseplate:
download/file.php?id=8336

25 Jan 2011 20:19

Natter wrote:
hein wrote:
I'm far from an expert on guns or the Mörser 18 in particular, but as I see it (judging by the available photos), the anchors are attached by steelbars to the baseplate, on wich the gun rotates.
I reckon some of the present experts will correct me if I'm wrong... PDT_Armataz_01_18

you are right. the anchors are fixing the baseplate.
nice pics can be found here:
http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/Militaer/ ... ser18.html

25 Jan 2011 20:27
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2